15 July 2017

An ode to the potato


Yesterday evening I snaffled a new potato off my brother's dinner plate. He shooed me away, but let me away with taking a small one.  The moment I ate it I wished I'd taken another couple. I'd forgotten how delightful it is to eat a new potato. Light, fluffy, almost citrusy.

I spent too many years in countries where potatoes are sold as "white" or "yellow". I fell out of love with potatoes. Then I came back to Ireland. Even the worst of potatoes in Ireland is better than the giant "white" and "yellow" potatoes. But even with that I had forgotten the glory that is a new potato until I had the Kerr's Pink yesterday.


So tonight my dinner was a bit of fish and potatoes (Arran Victory and Kerr's Pink). Boiled. With a little butter and salt. The small ones I just ate, skin and all. And tomorrow, I might have potatoes again. The next day too because I'll be back in "yellow" and "white" potato land again soon.







No comments:

Post a Comment

< > Home
Powered by Blogger.
The Sparkly Sunflower © , All Rights Reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Sadaf F K.