20 January 2017

Friday Feature: ParkRun

So today is the day. Obama is no longer American president, Donald J. Trump is now President Trump. While this blog isn't about politics, or at least, it isn't yet about politics, who knows how it will evolve, I will always remember that day in November 2008 when the election results trickled in. I was at the gym in Dubai, attempting to run on a treadmill and it's likely the only time I've been able to smile on a treadmill. There was just so much optimism surrounding Obama's win, especially for those of us who aren't American.

Looking back on those days reminds me just how good running makes me feel. Back when I was working 18, 19, 20 hour days, my 30-minute jog was what held me together mentally, emotionally, and physically. I suppose I pounded out the stress from the day before and got some air (dubious quality no doubt) into my lungs and brain. Cold mornings were my favourite, there's nothing like a bracing wind to wake up a sleepy mind, body, and soul. (A good pair of gloves are always handy on those days.)

So with all that in mind today's Friday Feature is one of my favourite organisations: ParkRun, a group that organises free, timed 5k runs on Saturdays around the world. At the moment there are runs in fourteen countries, it is open to all-comers, young, old, resident, visitor, tourist - some people even run with their dogs! The event is completely free, registration takes a few seconds and once registered runners can get their time recorded. Race results arrive via phone or email; during the days when my running was improving I used to wait with great anticipation for my times, as I gained a few seconds each week. I've gone downhill in the past few years and am about six minutes off my PB! So, definitely room for improvement.

Back in my faster days
The other thing I love about ParkRun is how friendly it is - everyone is welcome. Everyone is competing to an extent, but only really with themselves, it's more a point of pride that everyone wants to get a PB. After the race, groups of runners go for coffee, stand around and chat and wait to cheer the slower runners (I'm now in that category and it does make me kick a bit harder at the end when I hear people urging me to keep going). For inspirational ParkRun stories head over to the From the Field section at the bottom of the homepage.

Everyone can do 5k, believe me - even if it's a minute run, a minute walk, or all walk, you can do it! Did I mention that ParkRun is free? Hope to see some of you out in the parks tomorrow morning, you'll be finished by 10am! You might even discover a new reason to smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

< > Home
Powered by Blogger.
The Sparkly Sunflower © , All Rights Reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Sadaf F K.